• Categories
  • Archive

  • September 2014 (1)
  • June 2014 (1)
  • May 2014 (2)
  • March 2014 (1)
  • Why Gas Safety is So Important

    18 March 2014

    The Gas Safe Register website (http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/) offers comprehensive advice when it comes to Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety and this blog is merely a snapshot of some of the information that can be found on the following page of their website: http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/learn/carbon_monoxide_kills.aspx

    This blog is in no way a substitute for the comprehensive information that can be found on the Gas Safe Register website and is provided merely to alert you to Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety. We strongly recommend that you visit the Gas Safe Register website.

    Many of us are familiar with news stories about tragedies caused by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, but many are not. And further to this; many people who are aware of this lethal gas, still don’t take the relatively simple steps to prevent such a tragedy from happening to them and their family.

    Carbon Monoxide (CO) escapes from gas appliances that have been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.

    The presence of Carbon Monoxide causes Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – even when only small amounts have been breathed in. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can kill quickly and with no warning and levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to your health when breathed in over a long period of time – harm such as Paralysis and Brain Damage.

    So, the big question is –

    How do I avoid a carbon monoxide leak in my home?

    According to the Gas Safe Register Website, any of the following may be a sign of Carbon Monoxide being present in your home:

    • The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
    • Dark staining around or on appliances
    • Pilot lights that frequently blow out
    • Increased condensation inside windows

    So the thing to take from the above is to Get Your Gas Appliances Checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer and that annual gas safety checks and regular servicing by a Gas Safe registered engineer are vital to yours and your family’s safety – regardless of how new or old your gas appliances are.

    As well as this, it is also imperative that you have audible Carbon Monoxide Detectors fitted in your home. Gas Safe Register strongly recommends that you fit audible carbon monoxide detectors in your home because as they say – Carbon Monoxide has no taste, smell or colour. The ‘black spot’ detectors that change colour when Carbon Monoxide is present are not sufficient as should a Carbon Monoxide escape occur while you’re sleeping, it will not wake you up.

    Gas Safe Register state the following about Carbon Monoxide Detectors:

    • ‘A carbon monoxide alarm looks similar to a smoke alarm and is very easy to fit by following the manufacturer’s instructions. You can purchase a carbon monoxide alarm from £15 at your local DIY store, supermarket or from your energy supplier.
    • Before purchasing a carbon monoxide alarm, always make sure it is marked to EN 50291. It should also have the British Standards’ Kitemark or another European approval organisation’s mark on it. Follow the alarm manufacturer’s instructions on siting, testing and replacing the alarm.’

    It’s also important that you and your family know the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Details of these symptoms and full information about Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety can be found on the Gas Safe Register Website and on the following page: http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/learn/carbon_monoxide_kills.aspx

    At Tuke Heating, Gas Safety is always our number 1 priority, so if you’d like to speak to our Gas Safe Registered Engineers or arrange a free home visit, don’t hesitate to call us on 0800 1412 080